Inpatient Psychiatric Treatment Overview
This is an acute care inpatient specialty unit, and is reserved for individuals requiring a highly structured environment with 24/7 observation to:
- Prevent harm to self.
- Prevent harm to others due to psychiatric illness or other conditions producing dangerous behaviors.
- Prevent harm due to grossly impaired functioning due to psychiatric illness or other related conditions.
- Control mania or psychosis that cannot be managed in the individual's current environment.
Patients on the unit will receive:
- Ongoing medication consultation by a licensed, board certified psychiatrist.
- Coordination of services by a treatment team of professionals led by the attending psychiatrist.
- Discharge planning by a master's prepared social worker.
- Group sessions by social workers, occupational therapists, registered nurses, recreational therapists and other professionals.
- Neuro-psych testing if it is determined that it is needed.
- Newly renovated and tailored to meet the needs of older adults
- 14 private rooms with bathroom en suite
- Comfortable, homelike atmosphere
Criteria for Non-admission
There may be many reasons why an individual may not meet criteria for admission to Porter Adventist Hospital Senior Psychiatric; however the most prevalent reason is a medical condition that is not able to be treated on a specialty psychiatric unit. However, when approved, Porter will work with those with complicating medical conditions and may require consultation and coordination with Porter's on-site medical team.
Porter Adventist Hospital and The Centre for Behavioral Health are both contracted with most major insurance plans including Medicare.
Medicaid for Behavioral Health Services
Porter Adventist Hospital accepts Medicaid for Adult and Senior Inpatient Acute Hospitalization and both Inpatient and Outpatient Electro-Convulsive Therapy (ECT).
The Center for Behavioral Health accepts ABC and BHI Medicaid only for our Substance Use Intensive Outpatient Program (SU-IOP).
Currently, we are not able to accept Medicaid for the following services:
- Outpatient Therapy
- Medication Management
- Mental Health Intensive Outpatient Program (MH-IOP)
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy Intensive Outpatient Program (DBT-IOP).
To find a Medicaid provider, please visit: